The SchoolBard College is delighted to host a summer school on quantum gravity from June 9th to June 16th, 2019. The school will feature canonical and covariant approaches to quantum gravity and quantum cosmology. A unique feature of this school will be an afternoon computing lab where students will learn a computional technique in cosmology or one in quantum gravity from scratch.
The Bard Summer School on Quantum Gravity received generous support from the Center for Gravitation and the Cosmos at Pennsylvania State University, the division of Science, Mathematics and Computing at Bard College, the Dean of the College, and the Bard Physics Program.
ApplyingThere is no fee associated with the school. We will also be providing you with housing free of charge. However, we are not able to cover any of your food or travel expenses. For more details on these expenses see the Travel and Housing & Food tabs above.
All applications for the school are due by 5pm EST, March 29th, 2019, but we welcome early applications. Applications should be sent by email to Hal Haggard ("Last name"@bard.edu). Your application should include:
- Your First and Last names.
- The institution where you study or where you are employed and your year of study if you are a graduate student.
- A paragraph explaining why you would like to attend the school.
- Names and email for two references that we could contact.
- Your first and second preference for the computing lab. The two labs are on cosmology and on quantum gravity. Note: You will only end up participating in one of the computing labs. We cannot guarentee that you will get your first choice, but we will do our best.
- Indicate whether you would like to take the (free) bus from Bard College to the Loops '19 and IGC@25 Multimessenger Universe conferences in State College, Pennsylvannia.
- Indicate whether you need a letter of invitation for a visa to come to the US.
The header image is credit: Oliver James, Eugénie von Tunzelmann, Paul Franklin and Kip S. Thorne.